Sunday, October 08, 2006

I've got a hunger twisting my stomach into knots...

A few years back I spent 10 days with a family in Quebec city and from that experience I have a toast story. It goes a little something like this...when we finally got to their house they were asking me if I was hungry, and I was famished so I said yes and then they proceeded to list of items I could have for a snack. However, the only word I understood of the whole long list was toast, so enthusiastically I said that I would LOVE some toast. They then proceeded to present me with an entire plate (I think there must have been 4 or 5 slices) of that thick kind of “texas toast” bread that’s square and huge! It was good, but it was a lot of toast. Anyway, everyday after that, with every meal, beside my plate there sat a plate of toast. Yeah, so I chocked down about 9 slices of texas toast bread everyday just because I was a little over eager about the toast.
Well, that long story is just to illustrate a history with me. Yesterday Alana left and I am here alone, but Sheuli our house-help comes in everyday from 8-4. She makes me lunch and does our grocery shopping. Anyway, she asked me today what we needed for groceries. Well, I didn’t know so she started listing things and the only thing I understood was Papaya so I said sure, papaya. And perhaps, looking back on it now, I may have said it a little too enthusiastically….because I came home and there was a huge and I mean HUGE bowl of cut up papaya in the fridge which needs to be eaten quickly because it tends to get soft and gelatin-like after two days or so. The problem is, I don’t like papaya. In fact, I (other than papaya mix drinks) I try my best to avoid it. I think it has the worst texture ever and very little taste to make it desirable. But I can’t help that now. In fact, I sit here with the power off sweating up a storm (I even have to wipe off the keyboard every few minutes because my fingers and knuckles are sweating on the keyboard!) Anyways, enough of that grossness…as I was saying, I’m sitting here with three candles, sweating my ass off, eating disgusting papaya.
Damn my over eager food mistakes!

No comments: