Thursday, November 16, 2006

down to where the cliffs meet the sea…

I had an interesting experience last night. My friends who work with MCC here invited me to come with them to a children’s program at the convent where one of them stays. There were the expected songs and dances and skits and all in all it was really nice.
However, what made this a once in a lifetime experience was what happened after the planned program. First they asked us foreigners to perform something and so we made Cecily – on behalf of all three of us – go up and sing a song.
Then, they asked the sisters to do a little something. This one sister, who has that look about her that you just know she knows how to have a good time, stood up and started singing and then got everyone clapping with her singing and then pulled up another sister to play music to the song and then put on traditional Garo dress on top of her habit, and began to dance. It was hilarious and fun and great. While she danced she had this plate that she would flip around without it ever falling off her hand.
By the end everyone was laughing and clapping and cheering her on. And rightfully so! I mean, how often do you get to end your week with a performance by a dancing nun?

2 comments:

Dena said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dena said...

Hi Bri,

The terrifying thing about the blogging world (at least for me) is that the things we write are on display for all to see and it's very easy to connect the dots from one blog to another. That being said, I didn't even know you had a blog, but you commented on Lindsay's (Lindsay being someone I know very well) and when I saw that, I followed the link simply because I wanted to say "hello" and tell you that I'm glad you made it to Bangladesh.

I'm in Jerusalem right now (we took off from Egypt with the students three weeks ago to travel the Middle East for a month) and I too have seen some dancing nuns (as well as dancing monks and dancing Jews) and they make me smile and give me some needed hope.

Now that this is the longest blog post ever, I'll say goodbye and wish you much music and dancing nuns in the future, for both are beautiful things.