Monday, November 27, 2006

oh i could show you the way shadows colonize snow...

Today I have been thinking about Christmas. To be honest, its never been my favorite holiday. It has its good points like: family get togethers, snow, lots of food, etc. But it also has its bad points like: family get togethers, snow, too much food, etc. The thing is, with the looming absences of Christmas here, I have begun to miss it. And not just the good points of Christmas...I find myself wanting all those part of the Christmas season that I have spent the past 21 years of my life trying my best to avoid. I miss the creepy men dressed as santa, getting paid to wander down the aisles at Safeway. I miss having to listen to twelve different variations of Joy to the World within one hour of radio play. I miss the overly sugary sweet taste of candycanes and the gaudy glitter and garlands that end up covering everything. I miss food courts at malls that are in overdrive and smell of too much oil and processed food. I miss the feeling of wet wool mittens and uncooperative scarves. I miss the way the entry way of my house becomes a puddle that lies in wait to soak the fresh pair of warm, dry socks I just put on. Almost as bad, I miss the feeling of getting snow inside my mitten and having it freeze around my wrist. In fact, I will stop just short of saying that I miss having Hockey Night in Canada trump all other valid tv watching time on Saturdays.

1 comment:

Erika said...

*throws a virtual snowball at Bri*

Don't forget the stupid Christmas shows, like clay-mation Rudolph.

I suppose you would even be glad to see Edmonton, where it's -41 with the windchill.