Sunday, November 19, 2006

Take me to the edge so I can fall apart...

Bri’s essential songs for this past week:

(because I know my roommates miss being forced to listen to the music of my moods!)

1 Rebellion (Lies) - Arcade Fire: Alana calls it the best morning music ever, and I’m a starting to agree

2 Attack El Robot! Attack! – Calexico: how can you not love it with a title like that?!

3 God Put a Smile Upon your Face – Coldplay: roommates…I listen to this loudly when I shower

4 When the World Ends – Dave Matthews Band: Dave Matthews is pretty irresistible to me I must admit and this one is no exception

5 Its Gonna Take an Airplane – Destroyer: if you haven’t heard this song yet, you should. I particularly like the way he says “now in my, evil empire eyes”

6 The General – Dispatch: beautiful advice “I have seen the others, and I have discovered that this fight is not worth fighting, and I have seen their mothers, and I will not other to follow me where I’m going…so take a shower and shine your shoes, you’ve got not time to lose, you are young men you must be living!”

7 Let Go – Frou Frou: sit back, close your eyes, breathe.

8 On Your Wings – Iron & Wine: I think I just really love the intro to this one, but it is representative of my entire obsession with Iron & Wine…thank you Bethany B for introducing us.

9 Are You Gonna be My Girl – Jet: the kind you sing aloud and “feel free” to, right Justine?

10 Kärleken Väntar – Kent: a great Swedish band, although it is dangerous for me to sing in a language I don’t understand

11 Shiver – Maroon 5: I have no excuse for this one…Its just good.

12 This Year – The Mountain Goats: my motivating song in particularly rough patches of frustration

13 Throw the “R” Away – The Proclaimers: and you thought they only sang “100 Miles”!

14 Detroit, Lift Up Your Weary Head! Rebuild! Restore! Reconsider! –Sufjan Stevens: another song that represents a greater love…mostly for the entire “Greetings from Michigan: The Great Lakes State” album

15 Tom’s Diner – Suzanne Vega: I have a weakness for “talking” songs…remember Vitamin C’s Graduation song? Yeah, I enjoyed that one in its day too…this one is infinitely better though.

16 Beautiful Dawn – The Wailin’ Jennys: could serve as a credo for me in so many ways…I believe that the world needs this song. NEEDS it. I could probably go on for some time about this, but I’ve already included more than I intended too.

4 comments:

Jane said...

First and foremost, I have failed in my duties as a fellow blogger. Bri, I now have regular internet in the apartment, so I am fully available to you now! I took the last while to pour through your blog. Oh friend. How I wish we could talk in person about what were going through. I have such a vivid picture in my mind when you write. Thank you for the imagination your words provide to my head and heart.

Anonymous said...

that's a great mix. glad to hear you've discovered the mountain goats. have you heard their new record?

some other artists that you might like: cat power, neutral milk hotel and memphis (a side project of the lead singer of stars).

Anonymous said...

Nice Bri!
Sidenote: 'God Put A Smile Upon Your Face' has become my Loudly Played Shower Song as well!! haha...

LindsayAnne said...

well i must say i'm not such a good music 'person' but rather rely on others to find the good music. anways just wanted to say that i think i know who the ppl are who came to bang. from tanz.- my supervisor steve michmerhuizen went awhile ago and refers to it occasionally! funny.