Friday, February 01, 2008

somewhere to fall apart...

I have been dying to get outside to take some photos. Lately I just can't come up with anything new or interesting to shoot inside. The catch is that this week's average temperature has been hovering around -40C. Not good for the camera and definitely not good for me. I woke up this morning longing to go out and shoot, and though the temperature is only -27C today because it's snowing, I'm still not going to get any substantial time outside to shoot. So I took a look at the 15-day accuweather forecast which told me not to expect anything much warmer in the next two weeks. Tomorrow is my key day. Before the wind starts up in the late afternoon, we might make it to -15. I'm going to grasp it with both hands, seems how it will dip back between -28 and -42C for the following 13 days.
The best part of this kind of weather is the way in which everyone becomes friends. You see someone stuck in a snowdrift on the side of the street and you get out to help them. You walk into a store and find everyone chatty and friendly because you have all braved the conditions together to make it to buy bread in one piece so of course you will chat about the price of bananas with a 42 year old mother of 3. Everyone is invigorated with the ridiculousness of surviving in this weather and with that comes the need for community, for shared experience.

The cold equalizes.

1 comment:

daisies said...

i too have been desperate to get outside and unable to but it was good reading this ~ i am going to get out tomorrow during that small window :)

and yes ~ i love how people come together in community during these freezing moments plus the cold is good for stopping the pine needle from invading :)

have fun photographing tomorrow!