Saturday, October 28, 2006

i listen to dance music...

What does the Bangladesh government have to do with a proper English tea? Let me tell you. My friend Kate, a charming Brit, has invited me over to have a proper English tea this afternoon…good tea, cakes, lemon, the whole nine yards. Unfortunately, today Bangladesh officially has no government. Being that it is election time, the governing party stepped down and handed power over to the Caretaker government. Well, at least that’s how its supposed to happen. Unfortunately, the chief caretaker does not want to have power and is faking sick at home so he doesn’t have to be sworn in. So, yes at the moment, Bangladesh has no government. So, what does the lack of government have to do with an afternoon of English tea? Well, there has been some ‘demonstrations’ outside of the home of the chief caretaker, who just happens to live not so far from our flat. So the possibility of my rickshawing across town to have tea was destroyed. Which is unfortunate, because I’m sure many of you know how I feel about cake. So instead, I ventured just far enough out of the house to go across the street to the office to work. Which is okay, because I do have a lot on my plate at work…but just the word plate reminds me of cake again and I am sad.

6 comments:

bri said...

I know! We rescheduled for Monday, but there'll be other people there too, so we have to share.

Anonymous said...

I think the Bangladesh government or lack thereof... has seized blogger and dropped it and broke it, because i can't post my comments! Maybe this time it will work... Bri, I think you'd almost be better drinking unbottled water, ha, or ONLY TEA which has been boiled... Take care of yourself in these crazy times over there!
PS I also forgot to tell you that I saw Pam hobbling around High River when I was home a while ago, poor girl! I didn't visit with her cause I was driving, but I saw her none the less.

Anonymous said...

That picture you have of the little girl with the caption 'a friends gorgious daughter'(on your flicker site), does that happen to be Aktar's daughter? Because her face is very familiar from a picture my dad took of a beautiful one year old baby girl about three or four years ago. If it is, her beauty is captured well in your photograph. I hope everything is goin well and that your learning lots about Asia!

Leema

bri said...

hey Leema,
yeah thats totally akhtar's daughter. she's such a cutie. She's 4 now I think. We went over to his house for Eid so I met her then

Anonymous said...

Bri: We will have an English High Tea at my place when you come home! I promise to be very snooty and to make the scones myself!

Jane said...

Japanese tea is where its at. I'm drinking a cup at the moment. I will share it with you. Well...imagine I'm sharing it with you anyways.