Thursday, October 26, 2006

its gonna take an airplane...

My dear friend Jane, whom many of you may know, writes absolutely hilariously delightful blogs about her adventures teaching in Japan (www.janeinjapan.blogspot.com). They always make me laugh and I can hear her speaking through them. Upon reading hers today, I was struck by the fact that blog entries are very much a representation of the person who writes them. If I can hear Jane so well through her blog, then it must be true for myself as well to some extent. And so I started reading through some of my latest blogs and began to become rather depressed. So I decided I would write something a little more uplifting and clever and absurd to make you smile.
Getting clean drinking water here is a little tricky, but there is bottled water everywhere so you can usually find it when you need it. One of the major brands “MUM” is at every corner store, every grocery store, every restaurant and in the hand of pretty much every foreigner you see. I couldn’t sleep last night for a little while so I was throwing my mini bottle of MUM up in the air and catching it when I decided to read the ingredients label. It is as follows:
Arsenic 0.01 mg/L
Cadmium 0.003 mg/L
Lead 0.01 mg/L
Chloride 250mg/L
Nitrate 4.5 mg/L
Nitrite Nil
Cyanide 0.01 mg/L

Fantastic! I love heavy metals and poison in my drinking water. Haha
And their slogan… “Lets Drink to Life!”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just watched a documentary called "Thirst" about the global drive to privitize water and sell it as a commodity. They focussed on water privitization problems in India.

Interesting how i read today on your blog about bottled water being everywhere there, and the ingredients you saw (eek!). its is yet another reminder that bottled water is not necessarily mineral, or spring water from some distant glacier like we often think. that was a scary reminder!

now im curious to look at bottled water here and see what the ingredients are...that's weird that water has ingredients isnt it?

what does MUM stand for?

hails

Sarah said...

Well over here i just drink what's there and hope for the best.. Believe it or not but i have not purchased a bottle of water once since i've been here! Still waiting to get sick. Hmm.

Jane said...

Mizu, is water in Japanese. That is all I know.
I fell honoured to be mentioned in your blog. I hope I can maintain this reputation of "hilarious" you speak of. I live to read your blog.