Tuesday, October 03, 2006

i wonder if you can pick my accent on the phone

I am sick. Very very sick. I can’t eat anything because my stomach barely can stand water (I tried juice, it didn’t go so well). On Friday I ended up breaking the Ramadan fast with some Muslims and it was awesome. They call the meal they eat for sundown: Iftar…most everything is deep-fried but very good. (they eat SO much here… breakfast at 7 or 8 , lunch at 1 or 2, Iftar at 6 and supper at 9 or 10!) Anyways I ate street Iftar with them on Friday and Alana (who has been here for 3 years) got a little sick but I was fine. Unfortunately today I am sick. I can even sleep because my stomach cramps up so bad. And Christa you’ll love this….the food that made me this sick was from a fancy Indian restaurant we went to last night with some other expatriates. That combined with the fact that I’m a bit dehydrated has taken me down, and taken me down hard.
Yeah, I eat the street Iftar and I’m fine, but take me to a fancy restaurant and I become very ill.
And it’s so hot today too. The power goes out here regularly – about 3 or 4 times a day for about an hour each time. And that isn’t so bad in the office because we have a generator, but Alana’s place does not have one and so all the fans go off and you just sit and sweat and sweat and sweat for an hour until the fan comes back on.
For the rest of the day I think I’m going to sit back and watch some of Alana’s DVD collection and try to settle my stomach, or unknot it or whatever. Okay friends, good-bye for now from the sick newbee on this side of the world!

No comments: