Wednesday, September 27, 2006

but my brain knows better, it picks you up and turns you 'round

Dhaka. Well what can I say but...what a way to be initiated into Bangladesh. I slept most of the flight from Signapore to Dhaka and woke up 20 minutes before landing, and immediately felt completely and utterly sick to my stomach. But I checked it, settled myself down and got off the plane into that blistering damp heat. Kohima was waiting for me outside the airport and took me to a guest house. There were so many people I couldn't believe it. It was midnight and there were hundreds of people driving, shouting, constantly moving and being crazy. My guest house is lovely though. Clean, tiled floor, my own bathroom and a four post bed complete with mosquito netting. There is even a TV but I have yet to know how to turn it on. I'm moving into my flat tomorrow because my roommate Alana comes home tonight, and I'm living with her.
I had a bit of a restless sleep, got up early, took a shower and decided I would go explore the different floors of the guest house and as I opened my door, I panicked. I heard the women cleaning the room beside mine and remembered I don't speak a word of their language. I don't know how to say hi or food or I'm hungry. So I shut my door as quickly as I could and sat on the floor for a few moments. And then it finally came to me that sitting on my floor would not increase my knowledge of the Bengali language nor would it help me learn how to function in a society in which I was as good as mute. So I got up, found the dining room, and asked a man who was cleaning it if I could have breakfast. He spoke a few words of English thankfully, and brought me some toast and jam.
I am now writing this a few hours and another meal later from the CRWRC Bangladesh offices. Kohima took me around to meet a bunch of people, show me the place and where I am going to be working. I have a desk in the SATHI offices downstairs and the woman I share my office with seems really nice. I think she works with children's health, but I could be wrong...I did only meet about 20 people today in a language I didn't understand.
That being said, I'm excited to meet Alana tomorrow and move in to some place a little less temporary - plus it will be nice to chat with someone who's first language is English. I know I'll survive...actually I'll probably love it here in a few days time, but for now I'm feeling overwhelmed and completely incompetent.
I hope you all are well and I am thinking of you,

bri

ps. your e-mails have made my day. i really do enjoy hearing about what is going on back at home, even if you think it is mudane...write me about it!

psII. J, I think I took your contacts case, so sorry. that doesn't help you or me, but at least I have extras.

PLUS! all of you who laughed and said ripping all those CDs to my laptop was a waste of time...oh, how wrong you were. they have sustained me! ah, good music is home to me.

4 comments:

gm said...

...
u entertain me
...
in an appropriate and complementary way
...

Sarah said...

music does wonders for the soul! Thinking of you and how you are! Oh how long it feels since the last time we met to chat about our internships! Life happens all to fast! Are you thinking about Honduras too?
Cheers!!

Jane said...

Bri,

I felt exactly the same way arriving in Japan. YOu know you are about to embark on his incredible adventure, and yet, you feel overwhelmed, soul-weary and tired. Sarah's right, music does do wonders. Its a good distracter for the heart and mind. I know how you feel!!!!!
Just listening to some good ol' J-Pop at the moment. Like a really bad version of Canadian Idol (if that's possible). So bad, so bad. Yet, somehow so entertaining.

Jane said...

Clarification - J-Pop - Japanese Pop music, for those of you not familiar. Look into it. I'm pretty sure its an acquired taste. In fact, I KNOW its an acquired taste. For me, its yet to be acquired.