Wednesday, November 08, 2006

and as I recall I think we both kinda liked it...

I’ve been in Dhaka 45 days now. Only 45 days. It seems extraordinary that so many things can change in only 45 days: the way in which I speak, the clothes I wear, the way in which I carry myself, the perspective from which I see myself for that matter! In 48 hours, I leave to go upcountry for 30 days. Which, from the outset, seems like a very brief amount of time, and it is, but when you consider that I’ve only actually been here 45 days, it feels possible that the world itself could move and change in the next 30 days.
I’m afraid the time will fly by in the country though. For the past week my head has already been out of the city. I can’t wait to be away from the noise and pollution and crowds of Dhaka. These same factors energized me at first because this city is so full of life and movement and color. But my soul needs space. I need air and vegetation and to feel less boxed in by concrete buildings.
Perhaps 30 days from now I will be ready to come back into the chaos and life that is Dhaka and be energized and inspired by it once more, but for now, the prospect of visiting rural projects everyday gives me a deeper, more sustainable energy and a peace that I haven’t felt in a while.

And for those of you following my Flickr stream, I may not get to upload many pictures while I’m upcountry, but I’m sure I will have a whole slew to put on Flickr in December then, so stay posted!

3 comments:

Sameer Vasta said...

I'll be waiting for the next few photo uploads! Have fun in the country.

(And I love the song Breakfast at Tiffany's. Thanks for the reminder that I haven't heard it in a while.)

gm said...

i love you too.

Erika said...

This is just a phenomenal blog - you are an amazing writer. Best of luck in your trip upcountry!

Stay blessed.