Thursday, November 16, 2006

and counting loonies trying not to say...

Tonight the rickshaw whalla sang all the way home while he peddled Leema and myself through the streets of Mymensingh. And I couldn’t help myself but smile and feel positive in spite of my plans and hope for this trip falling down around me, I just felt a rush of optimism inside me. Not optimism for anything specific, I just felt hopeful. And I thought, gripping my bag with one arm and the edge of the rickshaw with the other as we bumped across railway tracks and potholes, that this isn’t the first time someone singing in public has had this effect on me. And if it happens to me, it must happen to other people too. (it is my belief that there are very few, if any, original experiences in the human condition) So I decided today to sing in public twice a week. Or hum a few audible bars at the very least.

No comments: