Thursday, November 30, 2006

for to fill up your soul...

I had an interesting and in-depth conversation yesterday about Truth and Beauty: how to define them, if they can be defined, if they’re relative, if they’re the same thing, if they have similar qualities, if they are opposites. While I was thinking about it today again I decided I would look them up in the dictionary thinking that might ignite some more ideas in my head. You can imagine my surprise then, when in this high intellectual state of mind, I discovered the contextualizing sentence for “beauty” to be this:

"The beauty of keeping cats is that they don't tie you down."

Now if that doesn’t take the wind right out of argument I don’t know what does. Thank you American Oxford English Dictionary…Samuel Johnson would be proud.

No comments: