Tuesday, February 06, 2007

If your body matches what your eyes can do...

I lost my shoe this morning running across the street. I ran, it stayed - firmly planted under the ice-covered snow. And as I stood there, ankle deep in snow in the median, one shoe, one sock, watching traffic whiz by on either side of me, I thought about a quote I had heard while watching Scrubs with Alana in Bangladesh... "It's all about hiding the crazy and ACTING like you're the most confident girl in the room!"
I try my best to do this...a lot...maybe 90% of the time. Maybe that's being modest, maybe its more.

Later, in Criminology today, Dr. Long talked about our standards and measures of what it is to be "normal" in society. He asked us to raise our hands if we considered ourselves normal. Not a single person in the class raised their hand. And I was torn between wanting to raise my hand to be part of the "normal"/average and that nagging feeling that I am indeed, crazy.

But really, when you come to think about it, life within society, within community, isn't about whether or not you're crazy or where on the craziness spectrum you land because it is all about how you funnel that craziness (some might say suppress or deny...I choose to "funnel") to make yourself appear more than normal, "above average" you might say.

And so, standing on the road, one sock soaking up all that snow and ice, I tried my very best to look above average, to hide the crazy and act like I was the most confident, one-shoed girl in the median.

No comments: