Sunday, May 06, 2007

You fall, feeling like it's just begun...

I'm lying on the front lawn in the sun with all my roommates. Its kind of funny to see...all these older people on their sunday walks enjoying the sunshine, strolling past our house and seeing 6 girls laying out on the lawn suntanning. And in this moment, this perfect moment of early summer weather, I realize just how easy it is to lose it. I'm reminded of this poem I once read by Charles Simic, called The Altar. It ends with the lines:

An alter dignifying the god of chance.
What is beautiful , it cautions,
Is found accidentally and not sought after.
What is beautiful is easily lost.

Depressing? maybe. Compelling? without a doubt. I like this poem because it reminds me of timing. of young men in wars. of that split second between the gas and the brake. of Romeo missing the friar's letter by that chance moment.
I think about my cousin training to go to Afghanistan in February, I think about Nathan all the way over in Kelowna, I think about my aunt dying of ALS the day I flew home from Bangladesh, I think about life and it overwhelms me because life, like comedy, is all about timing.

No comments: