Saturday, December 15, 2007

the clouds up above openned up and let it out...

In a Town in Germany

"Isn't this an interesting monument?" says Robert. The late autumn sun is beginning to set. We are in a town in Germany.
"I can't see anything" I say, "Just an empty square"
"The monument is beneath our feet" insists Robert.
I look down. I see only plain slabs, all of them the same. I don't want to disappoint my friend, but I can't see anything else in the square.
Robert explains: 'It's called "The Invisible Monument". Carved on the underneath of each of these stones is the name of a place where Jews were killed. Anonymous artists created this square during the Second World War, and continued adding slabs as new places of extermination were discovered. Even if no one could see them, it would remain here as a witness, and the future would end up finding out the truth about the past."

- from "Like the Flowing River" by Paulo Coelho


I think this is beautiful.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

that's sort of goosebumpy.