Saturday, January 26, 2008

Can't you see it's in me, can't you see...

I saw a few people last night that I haven't visited with in years. Its a bit strange and entertaining to see what it is exactly that they expect from you. I always find that I notice how much I've changed when I end up in a situation like this. When I talk with someone who hasn't been part of my life for a couple of years, its amazing to see all the ways I have changed and transformed and where I've come from. I was thinking about this this morning while I was organizing some of my books and I thought about how long it has been since I read some of them. Some of them I loved, some of them I own because I had to buy them for a class, but most of them have been sitting on my shelf since I read them once or twice a few years ago. I've decided to make a list to reread some of them and see what I think of them now that I am coming from a different place, thinking differently and seeing things in different ways. This list both encompasses those books I loved the first time around and those I connected with but didn't necessarily understand the first time through.

- A Complicated Kindness, Miriam Towes
- Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Wolfe
- Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
- Wide Sargasso Sea, Jean Rhys
- The Diviners, Margaret Laurence
- Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger
- Middlemarch, George Elliot
- Through Painted Deserts, Donald Miller
- Sons and Lovers, DH Lawrence
- Jude the Obscure, Thomas Hardy
- The Color Purple, Alice Walker
- The Alchemist, Paulo Coehlo
- Oryx and Crake, Margaret Atwood
- A Happy Death, Albert Camus
- The Bluest Eye, Toni Morrison

I'm excited to see whether I love them more, understand them better or just simply think about them differently. I will start today.

1 comment:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.