Saturday, February 02, 2008

Anything to make you smile...

As another week of lots of job searching and not a lot of working passes, I have decided to dedicate this blog to the merits of the peanut butter and jam sandwich.

First of all, my roommate and I uncovered a large jar of natural peanut butter in one of our cupboards about a week ago. The problem with natural peanut butter is that when its been sitting for as long as this one has, it tends to separate. Big time. To the point that it can't even be stirred. Well, Beth had a brainwave idea to lay it on its side and roll it every few hours. Now, a week later, its pretty much completely mixed. brilliant.

So I've taken to eating a few peanut butter and jam sandwiches a day for the following reasons.

#1: Its quick but doesn't give that fast/processed food feel

#2: Between the bread and the peanut butter, you feel pretty full, or at least like you've put something in your stomach

#3: The jam (my mom's homemade tri-berry at the moment), fulfills all those sweet cravings but the peanut butter cuts it just enough that it still feels substantial.

#4: Really high nutritional value...altogether it's an excellent source of protein, vitamins B,C and E, and fiber. As well as containing magnesium, manganese, niacin, iron and antioxidants. (yes, I've done my research)

#5: its cheap. A mysteriously free incredibly large volume of peanut butter, mom's jam and run of the mill whole wheat bread. All it all, a couple of cents a sandwich.

and...

#6: Once you have the perfect ratio of pb to j, it can be incredibly tasty. And let me tell you, I have the PERFECT ratio.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i believe it!

Anonymous said...

So yesterday was particularly shitty. I read this, and definitely with a smile, went and made a PB&J.
I don't think I have the ratio.

...yet.