Wednesday, February 06, 2008

some things you do for money, some things you do for love...

I am happy to report that after a month of ridiculous job searching, I have finally become employed at a place that I think will suit me well...at least for a while (I refuse to plan my life more than 3 months in advance). I am the newest bartender at The Derrick Golf and Winter Club. It is the most exclusive and ridiculously fancy club in Edmonton. It costs a fortune to be a member and I'm hoping some of that fortune trickles down to me. It also takes a beautiful 7 minutes for me to drive from my house to the club where there is free parking for staff. Excellent.

In other news I am headed back to Blue Fish studio this afternoon. Yesterday was my first day of "working" there and though it was kind of an "all over the place" day, I think I can say with confidence that it was a positive experience. We'll see how the rest of the week goes.

I am also going to The Mustard Seed tonight to help serve the evening meal because they had a shortage of people. I've been there before twice, but that was years ago and I was in an entirely different mind frame. I know Jamie loves that place so much, but I am a little nervous. There are some jobs that I just know I couldn't do. Like working with kids with disabilities or being a nurse in the maternity ward and I kind of feel like I could really love the Mustard Seed or I could be terribly frightened by it. I think maybe thats why I've stayed away from it despite many of my friends working there and loving it.


I have also decided that I want to become involved with the community league here. I think I will start by going to the winter festival held at the community centre this weekend.

I leave you with the Mountain Goats until next time...

"Going to Reykjavik"

i been drinking that coffee you sent me from thailand
i've been watching the lamps burn
i've been listening to the wind chime
i've been waiting my turn

and i'm coming to you
i am coming to you
i am coming to you

and i heated the milk until it boiled
and i drank it down
and i stepped outside
and i checked my reflection in the rain
there were voices on the wind
winter coming on in
and i made myself up again, brand new

and i am broken and i am tired
and i'm coming to you

No comments: