Tuesday, September 26, 2006

the prettiest thing i ever did see...

Singapore is crazy. Crazy in a beautiful stunning way, but crazy none-the-less. The airport is the largest, busiest place I’ve ever been in. When I got off the plane, I just started walking down it because I didn’t really know what else to do and in a moment of sudden spontaneity I found myself on a free 2 hour tour of the city. It was fun and interesting and free, which is always good. And the tiny little tour guide kept on saying “and look to your left to see (insert ANY attraction here). Beautiful, beautiful. A wonderful sight don’t you think?” And I was laughing to myself and sitting between a crazy Spanish woman with cool dreads and a really REALLY tall German man who was dancing on the precarious line between friendly and creepy. But it was nice to finally talk to someone in English. I know, I’ve only been out of the states for 24 hours now, but the 19 hour flight from San Francisco to Singapore had 6 Caucasians on it. And when you’re on a flight with 400+ people, 6 is not a whole lot. And 4 of them were in first class. So I sat next to a really nice Thai couple who couldn’t speak English but managed to ask me once if I was hungry or cold. And though I am neither hungry nor cold because its 31 degrees here and I just gorged myself on 6 satay skewers and a Singapore sling, I do have the sinking feeling my luggage has not followed me across the Pacific. I checked it at Calgary and it was supposed to be checked all the way to Dhaka, but considering I’ve had two rather lengthy layovers, I can’t see my suitcase making all the checks with me. Oh well, I guess I’ll just have to wait and see.
One notable thing about the flight though was the window seat I got. I was unimpressed at first because I think my legs are better built for aisle seats, but I wouldn't have traded it for anything. We flew over this breathtaking lightning storm southeast of Japan and it was incredible! And when we landed in Hong Kong to fuel up, I couldn't believe the beauty of the place. The mountains and fog and ocean. And we landed there at dawn so the sun was just rimming the horizon behind us and it was beautiful. I would love to go back there and explore the island some day.
Anyways, I am currently being entertained by a young man across from me who is checking his e-mail on one of the stand-up kiosks and dancing while he does so. I don’t think he knows I can see him, but I’m having a good time with it and it looks like he is too, so no harm done.
Well this blog has turned into being WAY more regular than I had planned, but starting in 10 hours I won’t have regular internet access, so that will regulate things a little bit better. Sorry for making all these entries boring travel rantings and musings.
Well, for right now I’m signing off and wishing you all a great day. I have thouroughly enjoyed opening my e-mail every time I land and seeing literally a dozen new e-mails from my friends and family wishing me well and wondering where I am. You make me smile and it makes traveling alone a bit less lonely.
Well I have seriously been considering going for an $8 shower and $2 nap at the transit hotel, so I think I shall do so. Miss you all,

bri

*pictures to come later i guess...this connection won't upload them to either my blog or flickr, so maybe i can try to get some up once I've found a good place in Dhaka to do so!*

1 comment:

KDees said...

You are so brave, Bri! You're awesome! I heard about your *itchy lady at the Calgary airport! Hopefully, no more glitches from now on!! Good luck!
Karen