Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Canadian lover, don't demean yourself...

It is a difficult and tiring thing to have to constantly struggle to make yourself understood. It seems like a million years ago I could express myself, not just satisfactory, but eloquently and persuasively. Some people have claimed that this process of losing your capability to communicate simplifies things…leaves you just the essentials, what really matters, what you really need to say. I disagree. The frugality of language I am forced to employ is debilitating. And that does not simply extend to my usage of Bangla – which is, by sad confession, minimal – but rather, much more noticeable in the way I am able to compose my own language. The English used here seems very different in meaning than the language I am used to. Though the words are the same, the meaning is entirely different. So I am forced to use words in a way I am unaccustomed to in order to convey the meaning I want to get across. And rather than having expressed just the essentials, just what I need to say…I end up having said something along the lines of what it was I intended to say.

3 comments:

Jane said...

I am never taking english for granted again. Spending most of the day trying to be understood (and to understand!) can be exhausting (and amusing at the same time). I hear you Bri. Glad you can exercise your creative use of vocab on your blog at least!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's a good mental exercise to have to be really intentional about how we speak...

I've been told a lot lately (oh wait, people have been telling me this for my whole life) that I mumble. I don't think people in Bangladesh would appreciate my english.

Jane said...

I totally agree Sarah. To be understood, and to understand, is perhaps the most wonderful thing of all.