Wednesday, October 11, 2006

whisper words of wisdom...

I visited the slums yesterday morning and yesterday afternoon spent the afternoon in an enormous 5 story shopping centre that felt like it would give West Ed a run for the money (Okay, it wasn’t quite that big, but it certainly felt like it). And I thought to myself, how can anyone possibly process these two extremes, let alone in one afternoon, in one city. Dr. Long presented me with an interesting challenge today, being the continual sociologist that he is, he called me to task on what I could possibly mean by “Doing justice to the slums”. And I have spent most of my morning in the office thinking about that question. What does doing justice to the slums look like? This blog entry is not going to even attempt to answer that, but it is running around in my head.

On another note…its is a little cooler today thank goodness! At midnight it was still 38 degree, but when I got up this morning at 7 it was only 35. Alana has a thermometer in her room and though it is a little depressing, and I can only imagine the humidity factor on top of it, it is kind of strange to think that it is 35 degrees out and I’m feeling a little cool. I hear it’s freezing at home during the night and I am closing my eyes and imagining the sparkle of frost on the picnic table in the early morning sun.

No comments: