Thursday, October 12, 2006

your barefeet dancing crazy in shards of wineglasses...

I had a surprise visit to the field this morning. Apparently my supervisors forgot to let me know that I would be interviewing 4 groups today in the slums area I hadn’t been to yet. Yeah. So, I did the only thing I could do and I just flew by the seat of my ‘shalwar’ – somehow that sounded much more clever in my head that it does now that I look at it, but I will not be deterred!
Anyways, what usually happens in the field is that I visit a group and they tell me all about their activities, then I ask some questions about it and then I end by asking if they have any questions of me, and mostly it goes a little something like this…

Are you married? (always the first and sometimes the only question)
- no
Do you have any plans to get married?
- no, not at the moment…not in the near future
But you’re so old to be single!
- yes, I am 21
Don’t you want children?
- maybe
Well, you should get married! Look for a husband…I have a son!
- thank you, but no
Are you healthy?
- yes, I am very well thank you
But you’re so skinny…you need to eat more.
- oh, I will. I very much like Bangla food
Do you have siblings?
- yes, three sisters…all are married and all have children
But you are not married?
- no
Oh…You should eat more and find a husband.
- thank you. I will do so. I very much enjoyed meeting you and thank you for your time
Thank you for coming, please come back to Bangladesh!

It makes me laugh every time. I almost want to give the answers to their questions in English before they even ask them because its all so predictable…haha, I love talking with them though, it has really been my favorite part about this place so far!

And it rained today while I was in a group meeting…which meant my shoes were outside…which means my Birkenstocks are still squishy and damp…which worries me because things just don’t dry that easily in this kind of humidity.

On one last note…I hear Donne is being taught in 17th this week and I wish I could be there to talk about his genius - its probably a good thing I’m not because I wouldn’t shut up about it – but I will go home and read some tonight to myself anyways… “she is all states, all princes I – nothing else is”

No comments: