Monday, January 29, 2007

Everyone knows I in, over my head, over my head...

"We never say 'when' because there is something about the possibility of...more" - Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy

I have been in the working world for a week now. I'm getting used to making Lattes and turkey sandwiches and punching in prices in the cash register and wiping tables and baking muffins, and I'm starting to like it. I know what I'm doing, I like who I work with, I have great hours...its just the price that is lacking. I have to start my car everyday and I get minimal tips on top of minimum wage. I've been offered a job at a place across the street at a dollar an hour more with substially more tips. I could walk all of 3 minutes to work, but the hours might be longer, less convienient. I wouldn't get to work with the sweet people I've come to know and like at the Cafe and it would be getting used to something all over again. Do I sacrifice good hours and good people for good money? Or do I let a great wage slip out of my hands and continue to bake muffins and slice bread for minimum wage? Neither job challenges me in a way that makes me want to do it for the rest of my life and as my current boss says..."a job's a job...work's work". And thr truth is...I don't like "work". Actually I hate working. I hate having a job and responsibility and day to day always knowing what I am going to do that day, Having my hours scheduled...and so what do I do? Not committ full time to either? Hold out hope for something else to come along that is great and fantastic and challenging to me? Do I hold out for the possibility of more? Do I have any choice?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Take the money. If you are not being challenged or enjoy the work, you may as well be making good money...especially in Edmonton...

Alana said...

you got a car?
Take the money.
A job's not always a job. But whenever you make money, even if it's "just" taking pictures, there will be responsibilities.

Kathlyn D said...

amen sista!
(about not liking work)