Friday, January 19, 2007

I'll be waiting with a gun and a pack of sandwiches...

"Do not be so long to speak...i LONG to die"

I've been watching Romeo and Juliet this afternoon. And though I am quite aware that if I met either of them in real life, I would not take a liking to either one, I am a sucker for their story. In fact, I am a sucker for any kind of tragedy. To be honest, since I've been back in Canada I've been undergoing a bit of emotional instability...I've gone soft really. I used to have a bit of a tough edge, and somwhere along the way I lost it. And now I find myself getting a lump in my throat trying not to tear up at cheesy commercials, hugging my roommates for awkwardly long periods of time and sitting too close (some may say cuddling) with my friends on the couch while watching Grey's Anatomy. And now I sit, watching Juliet and Romeo miss each other by moments. I can't help but wonder if this is theraputic or sadistic for me.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Bri: I am a sucker for R&J as well. The minute old Capulet finds Juliet dead and says, "Death sits on her like frost upon the fairest flower of all the field," the tears well up and I stay that way until the final scene. And I have read the play and watched all the film versions many, many times. That's great literature for you. Chaucer's "Miller's Tale" makes me laugh like a drain even though I have read it about 100 times, and most of Shakespeare's tragedies make me cry. I think it's great that in this cynical age we can still respond in this way!

Jane said...

am teary now, in fact. you help me understand myself, in a way.

gm said...

hi.

can we watch extreme makeover home edition together, now that i have someone to cry with? wonderful.

Jennie said...

Oh Bri, I love that movie soooo much. It makes me cry big time. Were you watching the one with Leo? I'm not an action-movie type, but the gas station fight scene makes me feel so bad ass. And Tibolt is my favorite.
Jennie
p.s. "talk show host" is verrrrrry high on my favorite song list.
I've missed you