Saturday, June 02, 2007

not necessarily need, but qualities that i'd prefer...

The lotto this week is set for $30+ million. I've been thinking about buying a ticket...I mean, someone has to win don't they?? And since that thought has crossed my mind I can't stop thinking about what I'd do with that amount of money. I don't want a new car or a mansion or an extravagant luxury cruise. I want to fly to Belize, buy a hut on the beach, string up a hammock, listen to music, write, photograph and just live. I would shop at local morning markets, drink local beer, sing and dance late into the night with my neighbors...I'd learn Spanish quickly and read Latin American literature. I'd lay in my hammock and be inspired by the sand and sun and sea and stars and move in and out of the culture, experiencing what it has to offer and examining my own. I want all of this and so much more. And I think....do I really need $30+ million to do this? The answer to that scares me even more.

Two quotes come to mind for me in this...

A ship in a harbour is safe, but that is not what ships are built for.

and

I never intended to be a run-of-the-mill person. - Barbara Jordan

2 comments:

Alana said...

You can start on Latin American Lit from Edmonton.
You should be able to get some poetry off Amazon, no? And those latin men are fabulous poets.
(Poetry would have fewer new words to look up)

Anonymous said...

a heart for alanis. a "hi" for bri: "hi!"

i'll be in the city on thursday, june 14. you around?